16 July, 2008

Cinema du Parc / Mister Lonely


We have discovered a nice small indie movie theatre in Montreal. Naturally I was sure there had to be at least one here, but I'm guessing there are many. Anyways, this one is called Cinema du Parc and it shows movies that are less likely to hit the major big screen, therefore I call those indie movies. The movie theatre is small and cosy, you can get free parking and snack on hemp bars if you wish. The screen is small, but it didn't bother me at all, actually it was so much better to sit really close to it and not feel like breaking you neck while viewing the movie. Only thing that made me feel uncomfortable were the pretentious artsy-fartsy English speakers that were criticizing the movie before they even saw it. I'm sorry I don't want to hear your monologue about your artsy-fartsy prejudice about the director and your prognosis of how terrible the movie might be and how little faith you have in it, argh! Notice how I call them 'English speakers', it has a bad connotation in here, to be called that and I'm starting to get why it is so, pretentious twats!

The first move we went to see was called 'Mister Lonely'. A story about a lonely Michel Jackson impersonator who one day meets adorable Marilyn Monroe impersonator and she brings him to this fairytale like community where everyone is just like them. So various celebrity look-alikes are living their common dream of building a big stage and giving the most amazing show on earth. There's Shirely Temple and the Queen and the Pope and Charlie Chaplin, etc and they never break the character, they are free to impersonate, they can live as someone else in peace. But dreams are never as beautiful as they seem.
Anyways, I won't give any spoilers here, just my own opinion. The movie was adorable, sweet and hilarious. The characters were original and refreshing. There were scenes that it could have done without, but overall it was one of the most entertaining and funniest films I have seen in a long while. And I'd definitely would give this movie full five stars without any hesitation. Go see it, if you are able to, you will enjoy, check the trailer!

No comments:

Post a Comment