26 March, 2009

Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust

As my Estonian friends and family had enjoyed a Sigur Ròs gig already in August in Tallinn, I was devastated that I was in Montreal exactly at that very special time. But the lords of music adore me an they gave me a chance to still see them live. On September 20th, 2008 Sigur Rós came to Montreal and naturally we had to go see them! You see, this is a 'souvenir' entry, the entry I was too lazy to write back in fall, oh silly me.
It was an open air gig held at Jacques-Cartier Pier (Montreal Old Port), the scenery was magnificent. Just imagine the tranquillity of the water, the chilly breeze from the river, the sky full of stars and on the shore my beloved city with it's billion lights, busy, moving, living. It was as beautiful as it can get (except for having the gig in Iceland, of course).


The evening was chilly, but not too cold, just about the right temperature for that time of the year. After some frantic search for a parking space we managed to arrive at the venue on the right time, with a slight race and some clever navigation trough the disorganized queue. Then there was the whole fight for the 'perfect spot' we had to try on many, just like one would try on new shoes, some look great from the distance but once in it is too uncomfortable to tolerate. Talking about new shoes, I had some on, bad, bad move, I'll never make such mistake again. And there we were, me, my friend and my honey waiting impatiently for the guys to come on stage. After half a beer and a limp spliff they came, the fabulous, lovable, adorable, fan-tas-tic Sigur Rós!



It was as spell bounding and hypnotizing and 'knee-weakening' as I had ever imagined. They charmed me with their sounds, their aura and their existence. It was everything I had expected of them and since I had already heard about all the little details of their tour I had no disappointments and sadly no surprises either. Beautiful music and people!
Sigur Rós is one of the most important bands when it comes to my life and it's course. They have been there to follow trough my relationship that has taken me to Montreal and therefore I couldn't have picked a better location to see them live. And Sigur R'os shall be there for all the important events in my life, haunting me just like 'Vindur í hárinu' was haunting us all for the following months. 'La-la-la-la-la'
I'll leave you with a very nice mix of the Montreal Old Port gig, with a good sound and all:





No comments:

Post a Comment