08 April, 2009

Dance, dance, dance to the radio!

You know the whole panic over last.fm radio and various bloggers suggesting alternatives here and there and some being good and some just terrible. Anyways, I am now offering one too, after all this particular radio is available over the net for totally free and it's pretty damn awesome as well.
It was 3 years ago when I first lived in Montreal (in Laval to be exact) and spent my days listening to CISM while waiting for the evening to come so we could go out. Back in time I wouldn't understand a word they said on CISM, (including the name of the radio. What SI-AI-FM? What, what?) but it didn't matter since the music was awesome nevertheless. Plus every now and then awesome indie bands were giving an interview in English, those were my favourite shows. Seriously, it was damn difficult to tell apart from band names, just random words or bub names because I wouldn't understand a word of French. Now it's much easier, I understand quite a lot.
CISM is a student radio of Montreal University. Even though it is mostly in French it shouldn't matter that much since the music is very good. They have the coolest indie shows and interviews with bands who come to Montreal. It is the best way to find new music to listen to. My favourite shows are 'Session live @ CISM' that airs on Thursdays 7pm local time and 'Décalage Horaire' that follows it. First show has live artists and the second one the best indie, folk and post-rock tunes. But during day time they generally play interesting music as well, from indie to folk, local and foreign, new and old but always fascinating. I am currently listening to CISM as often as I can just to practise my French and of course to listen to some new music :D
Here is the link: CISM FM. For those who can't navigate in French: just click RADIO EN DIRECT and the radio should open in a new window. Hope you enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment