14 May, 2009

Where to shop in Montreal?

That was one of my first questions, now, 3 years later I can give a detailed answer with pride and all. I have even developed favourites and regulars, plus 6th sense when it comes to sales. Shopping is not defined by random luck anymore, I now know where to get what I need and keep my eye out for fabulous bargains. The number one word a shopaholic, like me, should learn in Montreal is : SOLDE! (means: sale) I buy majority of my stuff on sale and sometimes I even wait till it finally is on sale before I actually purchase it. One thing in Montreal is absolutely certain and that is that everything will eventually be on sale, you just have to learn to recognize the natural flow of prices in different stores so you can save up thousands of dollars. I've become something like an expert on that field :D
Right, so where DO I shop in Montreal?
I will list my favourites here, where the quality and price range is the most suitable for a young woman in her 20'ies, like me. Most of these stores are unavailable in Estonia and even Europe so if you're from around here and visiting Montreal you might just walk by a gem, without knowing what you will miss. It frequently happened to me during my first shopping trips, imagine the loss, oh weep. Anyways, the links will take you to the store websites, some of them even let you purchase stuff online, nice. Here we go:
  1. Simons - A department store where I almost always find something nice to wear. They sell many known brands. But what keeps me going back there is their own line twik that always has something for my shape an size, plus it's trendy, youthful and really affordable. Kinda like H&M before it went crappy and boring.
  2. Sirens - Sells extra trendy club wear. I have gotten few stunning items from there even though I am not really a clubber.I can still wear these while going out and look fabulous as always. I favour their accessories to any other, by far. Keyword here is also: affordable!
  3. La Vie en Rose - This is where 60% of my underwear and lounge wear comes from. Beautiful and comfortable and when their items are on sale they really are on sale! I stock up for a year and then go back and buy new sets for the next one. Meanwhile, I purchase rest of my lingerie from La Senza, but that's a lot more expensive than La Vie en Rose. even though just about as cute. Their website lets you buy things online as well, but it is about twice the price as in their actual store.
  4. Jean Coutu - hehe, my Montreal friends tend to laugh at me when I tell them that I went shopping in Jean Coutu. They laugh because it is actually a pharmacy. Pharmacies in Canada, though, aren't limited by selling only drugs and diapers, they also sell make-up, kitchen stuff, toys, candy, even clothes, etc. The thing is that the beauty products are always on sale, there and this way I save up quite a bit as I use relatively a lot of beauty stuff, so I get my favourite brands like Covergirl , Klorane and Crest almost exclusively from there.
  5. Jacob Connextion - Even though Jacob's main clothing line is a bit too formal for me, their Jacob Connection line is just spot on perfect. That line is mainly casual wear that looks classy enough to never go out of style. This is where I got my lovely summer raincoat ,that I had desperately been looking for, and it was on sale :D Hhaha! I am the queen of SOLDE!
  6. Le Chateau - Mostly for fancy party wear. I have few items from there, but it is mainly a place where we look for more fancy outfits for my fiancé. Their menswear section is just superb for formal events, if you need something more classy, like for a wedding.
  7. Yves Rocher - Much better and a lot more affordable than Body Shop. I'm currently loving their lilac bath & shower duo that my fiancé got me for Christmas and I am already making a list of things I want from there for when I go back to Montreal this summer. *girly squee*
My favourite shopping centres:
  • Rockland Centre - This is our latest find, mainly English speaking clientele. Fancier shops and sophisticated atmosphere. The only shopping centre to feature an H&M that doesn't look cheap and that's an accomplishment by itself.
  • Place Rosemère - Now this one is huge, but out of Montreal so therefore you need a car and time to go there. The centre itself is one of my first loves, features almost all the stores that I love, plus there is a lot of natural light and comfortable resting areas with fancy sofas. A shoppers bliss.
  • Place Versailles - Somehow I always end up buying shoes from there, even if I have gone looking for a top or a bag, I tend to come back with shoes instead *shrug*. The magic shoe stores.
This is it. There are more, so as I will be going to Montreal again, I'll keep reporting from there as I shop. I'll be more up-to-date with everything and I'm pretty sure I will discover new places in no time, till then, this is all you got. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. That's a really good list and great descriptions, life saver indeed. Of course, I will not need it, as I will have you personally there. :)

    ReplyDelete